In this episode we continue our Marketing for Freelancers series by talking about how to grow your freelancing business on social media. We also have a real talk about what it’s like to put yourself out there and be vulnerable to your followers. Make sure you listen to the beginning of the series to learn about the marketing levels, and download our guide at heartcenteredservice.co.
Listen to Episode 009, Marketing for Freelancers, Part 3: Attracting Clients on Social Media
- Snag social media handles for all platforms
- Which platform should you use?
- Look at demographics
- Pick one or two platforms to leverage
- Every platform attracts a different intent
- People use Pinterest to search for a solution to a problem, whereas people are on Instagram because they’re browsing/bored
- Pay attention to how people engage with you so you can make informed decisions with what to do with that engagement
- Social media might not directly lead to a direct, easy sale – it’s about MAKING CONNECTIONS
- Figure out what the intention is and then use that to build a point of connection.
- Instagram Stories are the number one way that you can start building a connection with someone. They can be used to teach, hit pain points, etc…
- Instagram can be a great platform for storytelling.
- Going live is a great strategy for Instagram or Facebook. Anything that allows people to see you on video (and see that you are a human).
What to Post
- Try and balance the times you are providing value and the times you are asking for things on social media.
- When you are trying to figure out what to post, start with your values.
- What are things that you are constantly saying to your clients? What are things you always have to explain to your clients? These make good content ideas too.
- Use social media as a platform to share what you are thinking and what you believe. Twitter and Instagram are great for this.
- You don’t have to always be posting about work. You can share things about your personal life. People like to hire other human beings. This can also start really powerful conversations with followers and clients.
- Follow Krista on Instagram for a good example of this.
- Since we are service providers, the best way we can build connections on social media is through 1:1 conversations. Reply to your direct messages and comments.
- If you hate typing on your phone, use Instagram audio to answer!
- Reply to people’s Instagram stories. Show them that you are paying attention.
- You can use the conversations you have on social media with people in order to anticipate the needs of your clients.
How You Can Own Social Today
- Decide on 1 or 2 platforms that you want to master
- Start coming up with post ideas- stories, values, things you can teach, what is the intent of the people on the platform?
- Download our free workbook!