Get your notebooks out! This week, we are taking a break from our “Marketing for Freelancers” series and interviewing Purpose Coach Sheila Joy. Sheila helps creatives transform their true potential into a thriving, soul-aligned business. We alll feel stuck at times, and it’s confusing to move forward in your business when you’re NOT aligned with your true calling.
Listen to Episode 008, Carving Your Own Path as a Freelancer: What to Do When You Feel Stuck with Sheila Joy
About Sheila Joy
- Got to a point where she was burnt out with lifestyle + fashion blogging – trying to work with brands, putting affiliate links in her blog, etc.
- From fashion blogging to blogging about blogging to learning about business and facilitating a group program + signature course “Blog to Biz Academy”
- Reached a point where she pivoted towards 1:1 coaching for purpose, mindset + business
View this post on Instagram
💃🏻 Are you having FUN in your business? ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ For the first 2 years I fell under the belief that I needed to sacrifice fun in order to grow my business.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🤦🏻♀️What I (slowly) came to realize was that the reason why my business was STRUGGLING to grow was because I wasn’t having fun.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🙎🏻♀️When it came to biz ideas I got stuck on the question “will this be profitable” instead of “does this sound fun?”⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🌟 Once I started asking the FUN question instead of the MONEY question, I noticed a few things:⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 1️⃣ I felt more confident with my offer ideas + pricing.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Because I was creating things that sounded FUN and what my clients needed, not because it would be profitable.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 2️⃣ I stopped getting frustrated, stressed, and exhausted in my business.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ I have a full-time job AND run my biz… ⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ Asking myself the *fun question* allows me to only work on things that energize me. And not on the things that drain me.⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 🎊 So back to the question, are you having FUN in your biz?⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ How do you make your business fun?⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ 👇🏼I’d love to get inspired from ya and help others realize they can have fun too!⠀
When You Feel Paralyzed
- Stop fighting pain and paralysis!
- Embrace change and allow things to change.
- As entrepreneurs we have to acknowledge that we are constantly growing and evolving and our business should do the same!
- Sometimes we can drag out a phase of our business longer than we should. Often we don’t even realize that we are stuck until someone else points it out.
When You Feel Stuck
- Our self worth can get attached to “vanity metrics” like Instagram following and other numbers/results behind your business. Especially if you happen to come from a background that is particularly achievement-driven.
- If you are feeling stuck or overwhelmed in your business, honor that feeling and know that it is part of your journey. It is helping you become aware of what path you are actually meant to go down.
- Whatever next step you choose doesn’t have to be permanent.
- Ask yourself – what legacy do you want to leave behind?
- Create a way to blend all of your passions into your calling. Start with the impact you want to make and then bring your passions towards that.
- If you are just starting out, don’t be afraid to experiment and find your way into what you like.
- Build ways to check in with yourself, so you can catch when you are feeling fatigued before you are completely burned out.
- How do you physically feel? Are you tired? Do you feel tight anywhere? Does your head hurt? How do you feel mentally?
- Keep asking why until you gain clarity.
- If you are launching (or relaunching) your business, don’t overload yourself. You don’t have to have a giant launch with all of the bells and whistles.
- Don’t hide the journey. Let people know what you are doing and be open about the journey you are on!
- Don’t run away from your audience if you are pivoting! If you have an audience that you built, leverage the audience you already have.
Show Notes and References