In this episode, we talk about how to get started marketing your business online! Everyone and their mother has this complicated, “secret” formula for online marketing. So it’s easy to want to start your website, jump on all the social media platforms, and just do #allthethings #allatonce. The reality is, you should approach your marketing like a video game. Step back, and master one level before moving onto the next one. In this first episode, we talk about how to start building your online presence with a website and landing page.
Listen to Episode 006, Marketing for Freelancers, Part 1: The Marketing Levels
Level 1: Build Your Website
- Website is where you can send anyone interested in learning about your business, which is why this is the foundation of your marketing strategy
- Who you are, what you do, and who you help
- Easy to navigate
- Easy to contact you
- Portfolio + Testimonials
- Demonstrate your capability
- Proves that the job will not just be done, but also done well and on time
- Breakdown your services clearly
Level 2: Light Social Media Presence
- Choose one platform
- Most people spend 90% of their time on one platform
- Figure out where your ideal is most likely to spend their time on social media and then work on really mastering that platform
- Post a mixture of promotional, educational, and personal content
- Post behind-the-scenes content
- Focus on providing value & building connections with people.
- Social media is intended for building connections. It’s the beginning of the relationship. It’s not where you are going to be making sales.
Level 3: Content Marketing
- Using content to draw people in by showing you are knowledgeable and showing that you understand your audience
- Content marketing is taking what you post on social media… and going more in depth!
- It can take many different forms (blogs, podcasts, YouTube), so pick one that you are excited about
- Post regularly + establish some kind of cadence, so people get into the habit of consuming your content (and so you can boost your SEO)
- Use stories to create a connection
Level 4: Email Marketing
- Create an opt in and build a welcome sequence
- Send newsletters out
- Start with one opt-in and one welcome sequence – if you start with too many then you won’t be able to track the progress effectively
- When you send emails out, bring your personal touch into it, so you can nurture the connection with your subscribers!
This is intended you to lay a foundation for growth. You don’t have to have all of this in place before you can start making money. You can start making money before you even get your first client!
Show Notes and References
- Elementor + Elementor Pro (affiliate link): freemium WordPress plugin that is free to start!
- Canva: a free graphic design software!
- Lunapic: online tool to make images transparent
- Article about Social Media Demographics
- Episode 5, In Person Networking for Freelancers: on generosity + providing value 🙂